Furniture Painting Classes for Maryland, Virginia, and D.C.!
Did you inherit Grandma’s old worn furniture and it’s collecting dust in your garage because you can’t bear to throw it out, but it matches none of your decor? Or have you wondered how to make over thrift store furniture into beautiful, inexpensive pieces that brighten up your home?
Hi, I’m Serena Appiah, owner and blogger at ThriftDiving.com, a blog about decorating your home with as much affordable, cool thrift store stuff as possible, and finding ways to make life all-around less expensive. Here at Thrift Diving, my goal is to inspire you to be creative and to transform your home on a DIY budget! Join us!
Furniture Painting Class: Decorating on a Budget!
Painted furniture is all the rave today. And rightly so. Our homes deserve to be decorated with affordable, good quality furniture (like that which you can find at thrift store!). However, thrifted furniture or things passed down from Grandma, are usually very dated (and not in a good “vintage-y” way!). Paint can help you to transform a solid, well-constructed piece of furniture into something beautiful. And for very little money!
Furniture painting classes will be for 5 hours where we’ll be learning how to properly paint furniture! We’ll be using Beyond Paint brand of furniture paint on a piece that you bring to class (must be small enough for you to carry up a short flights of stairs by yourself). Once you’ve mastered your favorite technique, you’ll be able to create the same finish on your own furniture at home!
Classes are limited to 15 people.
And seriously, you don’t need any experience!
In fact, if you’ve painted furniture before, you may find this class basic. This class is for newbies that need help getting started with painting their very first piece of furniture!
I WILL PROVIDE:
- Furniture paint (you’ll choose your own color from 5-7 popular colors of Beyond Paint brand of furniture paint).
- Rollers and brushes
- Multi-surface sealer
- Smocks & gloves
YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to clean and prep your furniture before painting.
- How to make light repairs before painting.
- How to use a roller and paint brush while using Beyond Paint brand of furniture paint.
- Why you usually don’t need to sand or prime before painting.
- What to do if the old stain or finish bleeds through your paint.
- How to seal and protect your freshly painted piece of furniture.
- How to use stencils to create unique looks for your painted pieces.
WHAT WE WON’T COVER:
- How to distress furniture (furniture will be uniformly painted without distressing, “chippy” looks, or layering).
- How to strip or stain furniture.
- How to do extensive repairs on furniture.
BRING TO CLASS:
- A small piece of furniture that can comfortably be carried up a flight of stairs by yourself (to the classroom area).
- Clothes that you don’t mind getting a little paint on. 😉
- Your $20 materials fee, which covers your painting supplies.
- A bagged lunch
- A smile! You’re going to have a great time!
WHAT NOT TO BRING:
- Don’t bring your own paint. I’ll have the paint you need!
- Broken or chipped furniture. Painting class goes really fast, so there will be no time to fix broken furniture or furniture that needs to be sanded down first. PLEASE EMAIL ME A PICTURE OF YOUR FURNITURE FIRST SO I CAN APPROVE IT.
Join My Mailing List!!
Pictures of Previous Furniture Painting Classes!
Email me at (serena at thriftdiving dot com) with any questions you have regarding class and I’ll be more than happy to answer!
Serena Appiah is blogger/owner of Thrift Diving, a blog about turning other people’s cast-offs into beautiful pieces of furniture and goods for the home. She makes life more affordable for her family with lots of do-it-yourself (DIY), crafting, and home improvement. She’s been making over old furniture since 2012 and chronicle’s the transformation of her 1973 home with furniture makeovers and home improvement. She’s a mom to 3 beautiful boys, ages 11, 7 and 5 years old. She’s married and lives in Silver Spring with her family.
Download the 5 freebies!
Thrift Diving inspires women to decorate, improve, and maintain their home themselves...using paint, power tools, and thrift stores! Use these 5 printables, checklists, and ebooks to get started!