Hello, I’m Serena Appiah (rhymes with “IKEA”!)
Many times readers ask me what tools and materials I use for doing DIY projects. Although there are a lot of things listed below, please don’t feel like you have to rush out and purchase every single one of them!
DIY can be cost-effective, but it’s not cheap, especially when you’re trying to buy everything at once! Sometimes, materials are the most expensive part of doing projects!
When building your DIY toolbox, I’ll try to point out the things I highly recommend you buy as soon as possible, along with things that are nice to have but not necessary immediately.
Many readers want to support this blog, and the way you can do that is by shopping through the links I post below with my favorite recommendations. When you purchase products through the some of the links below, I may earn a commission, but it doesn’t cost you a dime at all. Bloggers earn commissions from trusted sites, like Amazon.com, for example, which help to support a blog. It doesn’t mean you have to shop from my blog, but when you do, the money earned helps to keep this blog going. Thank you for your support!
The power tools I recommend are RYOBI power tools. They are the tools that I have used since learning how to use power tools. Plus, RYOBI sponsors this blog and many DIY projects I do with their tools. Most of them I have received for free so that I can create content on this site, but I can tell you that I truly do love using them. You don’t have to use the same tools, but since these are the only tools I use, I wouldn’t be able to offer recommendations about other brands. Feel free to do your research, though! What’s most important is that you start your own DIY toolbox that has a jigsaw, circular saw, power drill, etc.! 🙂
My Recommended Paints, Power Tools, Craft Supplies, and More!
The following DIY tools and materials are all the things I have used and personally love!
Paint & Waxes
- Beyond Paint – Easiest to use
- Folkart Chalk Paint – Most affordable
- Annie Sloan Decorative Chalk Paint – Most well-known
- Amy Howard One Step Paint
- Country Chic Paint
- Country Chic Clear Wax
- Country Chic Paint Tough Coat top coat
- Clear wax
- Dark wax
Power Tools & Accessories
Make sure you check both The Home Depot and Amazon when shopping for power tools. Many of times, The Home Depot will offer better prices, especially at holiday seasons! It’s also cheaper to buy combo kits that will have two or more tools in the set. And the last tip–buy a set of 18V lithium-ion batteries because the power tools may not come with batteries!
- RYOBI Random Orbit Sander at Home Depot or buy on Amazon
- RYOBI jigsaw at Home Depot or buy on Amazon
- Jigsaw Blades – Always buy a pack when buying a jigsaw
- RYOBI Power Drill at Home Depot or buy on Amazon
- RYOBI miter saw
- RYOBI Circular Saw
- Kreg Jig 5 pockethole
- Kreg Pocket hole screws
- Birch plywood – Type of wood I like to build with (but also check out Pure Bond, which is formalyhye-free)
Favorite DIY Accessories
- Purdy paint brushes
- Speed square – Best tool for making straight lines and angles
- Frog Tape
- Sandpaper – Be sure to get different grits of roughness, like 60, 150, and 220.
- Kreg moulding jig – When putting up your own crown molding
- Command Max HVLP Sprayer (Home Right) – The best, affordable paint sprayer you can buy. Watch this YouTube tutorial to learn how to use it.
- Frog Tape – Best painting tape–hands down! Better than the blue painter’s tape.
- Steel wool
Favorite Stripping and Restaining Furniture Supplies
Favorite Craft Supplies
- Vintage clay molds for creating clay appliques on furniture
- Rustic Brands Furniture knobs and pulls
- Royal Design Studio furniture and wall stencils
- Rub n’ Buff Metallic Finish
- Mod Podge decoupage
- Brayer for smoothing paper when decouraging
- Silhouette Cameo personal cutting machine
- Tack & staple remover for reupholstering
- Heavy-duty staple gun
- Tack remover
- Krylon Paint and Primer spray paint
Cleaning Tools & Supplies
- Homeright Steam Machine – Cleans without chemicals
- Tack & staple remover
- Paint Erase latex paint remover
- Grime Boss hand and surface wipes
- Spray Nine heavy duty cleaner
Home Improvement & Maintenance
- Leak Frogs – alerts you immediately when there’s a water leak!
- Brick-Anew painting kit for painting a brick fireplace (see my review Brick Anew)
- Brick clips – for hanging art and objects from brick with no drilling!
Starting a Blog
- Bluehost for paid hosting of your blog
- Get Response for email marketing and list-building