I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. All opinions are 100% my own. #cbias #SocialFabric.
We DIY’ers save thousands (if not millions!) of pieces of furniture and “trash” from landfills each year by lugging it home and transforming it into something useful and beautiful again. But do you ever think about how dirty that stuff is?? I’m the worse offender when it comes to NOT cleaning things off before shoving it into my van or car.
Any although I don’t always follow my own advice, here is one of my most important thrift diving tips ever: keep an Ology non-toxic cleaning caddy in your car!!
Ever since we bought our minivan nearly 2 years ago, I’ve been hauling home anything and everything from the thrift store…..road side….yard sales…. You name it. (Just one of the perks to having a “mom mobile”!).
But the downside of hauling it all is that, if your salvaged furniture is like mine, you’re loading some of the most gritty, grimy, and dirty deals into the very place your family uses.
And that’s pretty disgusting, no matter how awesome the deal!
So recently when #CollectiveBias gave me the opportunity to try out Ology products (a line of non-toxic products that only Walgreens carry) that are not only free from 10 harmful chemicals, but are also TREE free, I was stoked!
FINALLY I was going to create a cleaning caddy for my van and car, but most importantly, I was getting to try some non-toxic products that are from renewable sources and contribute to a healthy home for my family and me.
I headed over to my local Walgreens (#WalgreensOlogy) and was pleased to find that the biodegradable paper towels were easy to find. I honestly expected to have to hunt for the stuff! Isn’t that what companies usually do? Stick the “good” stuff on the bottom shelf so you can’t find it? Not Walgreens.
The Ology All-Purpose Cleaner was easy to find in the cleaning products aisle, too.
I only bought a few of the items they offer, but Ology has a whole line of products, from toilet paper, laundry detergent, toothpaste, body wash– everything.
And you know what’s awesome??
That you can buy healthy products like Ology at Walgreens (read: you don’t have to make a special trip to Whole
Check Foods or some other overly priced organic, earth-friendly market). Affordability and environmental goodness is right in your backyard instead. Finally a company gets it right!!
Make Your Own DIY Cleaning Caddy
So I picked up these items for my cleaning caddy (minus the TP, which is for you-know-what…but I digress….).
And while I was at Walgreens, all their Easter stuff was 50% – 75% off. SCORE! I picked up one of these Spider Man Easter baskets for a mere $1.24. Even better, you can recycle your kid’s old Easter basket if they don’t mind :). I was going to decorate the basket to cover up the Spider Man, but you know what?? When I’m lugging home furniture, I can use the bucket to distract my kids while Mommy wipes, lifts, and lugs that stuff into the back. HA!
Buy These Things:
- Ology All-Purpose Cleaning – You can only find Ology at Walgreens. Stop by on your way home from work and pick some up. The awesome thing about Ology products is that they’re free from ammonia, chlorine bleach, DEA [diethanolamine], TEA [triethanolamine], Parabens, Phthalates, Formaldehyde, Nonylphenol ethoxylates, Triclosan, SLS, and SLES. It won’t harm your family or your pets. Ology also doesn’t use artificial dyes or fragrances. Score!
- Ology Odor Eliminator – How often have you bought stuff from the thrift store (especially dressers and trunks!) or roadside that has odors in them that you can’t get rid of? Get some Ology Odor Eliminator in your cleaning caddy to get rid of those smells. It’s also free from harmful chemicals, artificial dyes, and fragrances, just like all the other products.
- Ology Tree Free Paper Towels – Did you know these come from sugarcane husks and bamboo (so does the toilet paper)???!!! How awesome is that!! I love knowing that I’m not killing any trees using these!
- Cheap Easter basket – Easter is over…..I’m sure all the candy is gone and your kids won’t even miss it. 😉
- Microfiber towels – For heavier-duty jobs. TIP: Look for them in the auto detailing section! They’re often cheaper and you get more.
- Gloves – Too bad Ology doesn’t make gloves (can’t be too hard to recycle some rubber tires, huh??)…until then, I’ll do reusable latex, thank you.
Do You Have a Cubby??
…and in my smaller sedan (don’t hate me because it’s filthyyyyyy), I stashed my other cleaning caddy:
So now when I’m lugging things home, I don’t have to bring along cobwebs, dirt, and whatever other filth. YAY!
And this is my little 4-year old who wanted to help with this post, so I had to include him. He’s such a big helper! 🙂 It feels good knowing that the products I use around him and his brothers won’t hurt them.
Have you ever used Ology from Walgreens?…..and Do you clean your thrifted and roadside treasures before lugging them home? Come on….’fess up. 😉