Today is DAY 5 in the 31 Days to a Fabulous Room Makeover Series. If you’re new to this series, start HERE at the beginning.
We’re not even a week into the 31 Days to a Fabulous Room Makeover series and already you should have chosen your room, taken pictures, planning for how you want to make over the room, moved any clutter to another room, and compiled down your materials and budget.
DAY 5 is all about CLEANING!
If your space is anything like my room makeovers, you’re dealing with dirty walls, filthy floors, and God-knows-what.
When I got started on my laundry room makeover, you wouldn’t believe what was behind the cabinets when I removed them!!
Now this is the extreme….haha…..but this was years of dirt from the previous tenants, along with old wallpaper-stained walls.
All of it needed a deep cleaning.
I planned to lay new tile on the floor, directly over top of the old vinyl, so I needed to clean that mess!
As you’re uncovering dirt, consider rolling up your sleeves and getting down and dirty!
So here’s what I want you to consider cleaning today:
- Clean your walls – Removing wall hangings and washing the walls with a mixture of Simple Green and water (or vinegar and water). This is especially important if they’re really dirty and you’re planning to paint.
- Scrub your floors and grout – Push all the heavy stuff out to the middle of the room (e.g. sofa, washing machine, dryer, etc.) and give the floor a good scrubbing. If you have the money, I would recommend buying yourself one of my favorite steam cleaners, the HomeRight Steam Machine. I’ve used mine to steam the gunk from everything from furniture to toilets to shower stalls–and even my car! Watch my steam cleaner tutorials here.
- Dust your ceiling and ceiling fans – These are places people forget to clean!
- Vacuum your vents – Dust collects on them, too.
- Scrub your oven – Watch my video on how I cleaned my oven with no harsh chemicals.
- Wipe out your fridge – Yuck! Toss everything that’s old and scrub that baby down if you’re making over your kitchen!
- Wipe out your cabinets – Take everything out and clean up the crumbs, dust, and crap that doesn’t need to be there.
The list could go on and on, but you get the point.
Now that all the clutter is out of the room and you can see the dirty, you’ve got to tackle it today, head-on!
A Quick Cleaning Tip!
In addition to using a steam machine to get a deep clean, try shopping the car detailing section at Target or Walmart. You can usually get packs of microfiber towels for much cheaper (and more of them!) than if you buy them the cleaning aisle!
Stay tuned tomorrow for DAY 6: Shop Your House.
If you’re new to the series, you can START HERE!