I admit, I usually don’t like to give gifts at the holidays. The rebel in me fights against the total commercialization of some mandated time to give gifts–why can’t we give them all the other 364 days of the year??
But then the DIY’er in me kicks in at the last minute because I love the idea of giving homemade gifts, regardless of the date. And I either scramble to make something…..or run out of time and feel so guilty I didn’t make something in time, that I will spend more buying something anyway.
Am I backwards, or what??
So this year, I’m putting my ego aside, and I’m calling on my left brain (isn’t that the more organized part of the brain??) to give my creative right brain a swift kick in the prefrontal cortex. 😉
I will give homemade gifts this year. And I will give myself plenty of time to make all the important people in my life something useful (and pretty!).
Like This Gift….A DIY Foot Scrubber (from a Home Depot sanding block!)
Feet are gross. Even just saying the word “feet” sounds nasty. Doesn’t it??
But feet are even more gross when you don’t take care of them! Ha! Am I right?
There are two choices: go to a salon, or do it at home.
You know where this is going…….
I’ve been doing mine at home for years, using sanding blocks from the Home Depot!
Are you shocked??
It actually works pretty well! And these DIY foot scrubbers actually make a great stocking stuffer, or part of a DIY pedicure gift basket!
Watch the Video!
1. Go to a hardware store and get a rubber sanding block for about $6.00.
2. Get a few sheets of fine #22o grit sand paper and cut them into strips about 2.5″ wide and 8.5″ long.
3. Attach it to the sanding block.
4. Wrap it in a colorful paint chip (free!).
5. Cut out some shapes for the top. Since it’s holiday season, maybe a snowflake on top?? That would be so cute!!
6. Get a colorful bucket for soaking feet (for soaking in warm water about 20 minutes). The bucket will be to make a gift basket out of it, stuffed with the DIY foot scrubber, and maybe some DIY foot scrubs and salts!
My feet right now could use some TLC….
Especially considering the fact that I think I broke my toe this weekend! (Crashed it into a wall–don’t ask. I blame my children. LOL).
Maybe soaking them, with a light scrub, would make me feel better. Less swollen!
Be sure to cut some extra strips of sandpaper to include in the pedicure gift basket! Those things go fast when the gunk is being scraped off your feet! Blech!!
Before You Go…..A Few More DIY Gift Ideas
So have you ever used something like this to scrub your feet? How do you take care of your feet? What sort of DIY gifts do you have on your tentative gift list? (Don’t tell me you haven’t started thinking of it! I know you have….). Leave a comment below and share your thoughts!